Thursday, March 25, 2010

Honoring teaching excellence

During the winter months it’s common to turn to the local television or internet news in order to get information on the latest school closings. Normally these closings are due to inclement weather conditions and things return to normal in a day or two after road crews have had a chance to plow and salt the roads making it safe for busses to travel to and fro.

These days, however, amidst staggering budget deficits and an economic recession that is the worst in many of our lifetimes, these schools aren’t just closing their doors for a snow-day; they are closing them for good. It’s hard not to hear about the latest closure and how it’s going to affect the community. With all of the negativity surrounding the education field, it is especially commendable that some instructors are able to keep a positive attitude and try to make a real difference in students’ lives.

Professor Paul Majeske, of Eastern Michigan University’s College of Technology was recently recognized by the Alumni Association with a very high honor; an Excellence in Teaching Award.

“Several former students got together and submitted the nomination material,” explained Majeske, adding that it felt, “awesome,” to receive such an honor. “I was chosen by students who weren’t solicited,” he exclaimed, adding that, “there have only been a little over 100 of these awards given out in 12 years or so.”

“Originally I didn’t want to go because I was going to have to miss class,” Majeske explained, showing his true commitment to education, “but then I remembered that this is why I do what I do,” he added

The award was presented, along with a commemorative medallion and certificate, at a Saturday breakfast in the EMU Student Center with further ceremonies being held during halftime at the men’s basketball game on February, 4. “It was extremely nice and many people were there. I had my family and close friends sitting with me. I was a little nervous,” Majeske admitted.

Having taught in EMU’s College of Technology for a total of 16 years, Majeske says that his favorite part about the university is its commitment to teaching. “I hope for my students to be better people and to learn,” explains Majeske, adding that his daily approach consists of making sure this happens as a result of his efforts.

Positivity is often hard to find; especially in light of economic trends and the slew of vacant building surrounding our once lucrative towns and cities. Assurance only comes in knowing that certain people are trying to have a positive impact in the world and create a better future for those around them.

“Teaching (at EMU) is the perfect blend of all the interests in my life. I didn’t select it as a career; it selected me,” Majeske explains, laughing that insomnia has been his biggest inspiration.

Asked about the example he hopes to set for his own children, Majeske concludes, “I hope they can also find something they truly love to do, I hope it shows when they see me receive things like this award.”

Nominations for Teaching Excellence Awards are accepted annually with this year’s deadline on March 5. To nominate an instructor or get more information on the award visit http://www.emich.edu/alumni or call the alumni relations office at
(734)487-0250.

No comments:

Post a Comment